12 August 2009

Coffee List according to Taylor Hill

Having asked for submissions to the Coffee List from other people...this is the list from Taylor Hill, engineer-in-training and a good friend:

Taylor's Coffee List:
C.S. Lewis
-Seriously, who wouldn't want to chat with this guy over coffee? He had one of the most active imaginations in the world, besides being a scholar, theologian, and general intellectual. Most of those types of people can't even make it through college.

James Dean
-An interesting and yet highly private individual, known for his dedication to his work, his inquisitive nature, and his volatile temperament. I imagine this would be an extremely interesting conversation.

Rob Bell
-He has a talent for expressing new and old ideas alike as fresh, simple, and profound. I expect it would translate well to conversation.

Yuko and Ananth from
Johnny Wander
-They seem to have some wild and crazy adventures. Or daily life cleverly disguised as wild and crazy adventures with pen and ink.

Ray Bradbury
-I would like to have a huge round-table panel discussion with a number of dystopian fiction writers, but if I had to pick one, I'd pick Ray Bradbury. Or Vonnegut. Or Orson Scott Card. Dang it! Bradbury.

J.R.R. Tolkien
-I know, lots of writers on my list. But I picked most of the writers for reasons other than their writing, and I picked Tolkien solely because I can imagine no better person in the history of the world to discuss language with than, as far as anyone knows, the only man who ever created an entire working language (multiple, in fact), by himself.

Leonardo Da Vinci, David Kelley, Nikola Tesla, Thomas Edison, Alec Issigonis
-I made myself choose one dystopian fiction writer, but this coffee chat really needs to be a round-table between some of the most fertile and innovative minds in engineering and design. That is, if you could get Tesla and Edison in the same room, if you believe stories of their heated rivalry.

Dwight D. Eisenhower
-My favorite president based on some of his contributions to our country such as the Interstate Highway System and the American sister cities program.

Victor Hugo
Oscar Wilde
The "Mute Math" Guys
Bret and Jemaine from Flight of the Conchords

No comments:

Post a Comment