27 February 2011

Making the most of the commute

Today as I was riding the train to go take pictures around town, I was playing with a Rubik's Cube. Ever since I got one for Christmas when I was in middle school, I've gone through phases of taking it with me wherever I go. It's compact and entertaining, so when one finds oneself in a situation where they are waiting for something (i.e. a bus or train), it's easy to whip out and dispel boredom.

I didn't bring my Cube with me to Singapore, but Caleb has one and I borrowed it today for my train ride. I got on the train, pulled it out, and started twisting and turning.

The first time I solved it (I'm averaging 2 and a half minutes), I noticed a lady smile as she was watching me. Then I realized that normally, all you see on the train is a whole bunch of zombified people trudging through their daily commute staring vacantly with their headphones on. That or fingers typing furiously into little pocket sized gadgets. It's certainly not every day that you see a white girl playing with a brightly colored cube.

After the second time I solved it, I noticed a man watching me. He caught my eye and asked if he could have a go. Of course, why not? I handed it over, and his hands started moving the layers back and forth quickly and methodically. Three minutes later, it was done and he handed it back.

I couldn't help but smile. It was such a ridiculous situation--two strangers interacting with each other over a toy on the Singapore MRT. I solved it one or two more times, and the same man suggested we do a race. As the train pulled into the next station, he took the Cube and started as soon as the doors shut. The goal was to finish by the time the doors opened at the next station (~2 min).

I watched in awe as he turned the last layer just in time. Then it was my turn and I am sad to say I wasn't as successful. He was very gracious and we had a quick little conversation about it. When he got off the train, we exchanged "Have a nice day!"s, and that was that.

I spent the rest of my train ride today solving my Cube, hoping that it would cause some smiles and a little bit of entertainment for my fellow commuters.

No comments:

Post a Comment