22 February 2011

Unexpected gains.

Time does amazing things for relationships. The more time you spend with a person, the more you learn about them, and the closer you become. I think that this also applies to our own selves. I am the person I spend the most time with, and it's always exciting to see how I change as life goes on.

For those of you who know of the Myers-Briggs personality types, I am an Extrovert to the extreme. I am motivated and energized by being around people. One of my absolute favorite parts of being a traveling extrovert is meeting and befriending people from all over the world. Not only does it mean that soon I won't have to worry about having a place to stay wherever I go, but it also means that I get to learn and experience all sorts of cultures and worldviews that may be different from my own. All of these new friendships have a great impact on who I am and have helped me grow and change in many ways.

Last week I went on vacation to Thailand. My dad was coming for work, so I met up with him in Bangkok and then we went up north to Chiang Mai together. Coincidentally enough, one of my friends (Mairead), whom I was with in Senegal, lives there now. It would probably be an understatement to say that we had a blast together.

It rocks my world to think that two years after Mairead and I met in Africa (and knew each other for a mere two months), we can get together in a completely different country and have the time of our lives. Over the last two years we have kept in touch through email and skype, but this was the first time we've actually seen each other.

Mairead has an incredible group of friends in Chiang Mai, that I had the honor of meeting and spending time with throughout the week. Besides going on adventures with them to the Night Bazaar, a jazz bar, and the coolest waterfall ever, I especially enjoyed just sitting around, talking, and getting to know them. Little did I expect to come home with a whole new group of friends in another country.

Which brings me to one of the curses of being a traveling extrovert with easy friend making abilities. After a week with my new friends in Chiang Mai, I didn't want to leave. I wanted to be able to stay and cultivate these new relationships, to make life-long friends of mere acquaintances. Hopefully, through the power of email, we will be able to stay in touch and see each other again in this lifetime.

Seeing as I gained a whole new community while on vacation for a week, it shouldn't come as a surprise that I find myself with many amazing friends here in Singapore. Friends that keep me accountable, encourage me, inspire me, challenge me, and keep my life as fun as ever. But these friends won't be around forever either. It is the nature of living here that people come and go more often than they rightfully should.

One of my best friends here recently moved back to the States, but she is only the first in a long line that will be moving before me. As heartbreaking as it is to think about them leaving, I am learning how to be present with the people I'm with and not waste the time I've been given with them.

I am blessed to have so many friends in so many places, and I love to see how I am growing and changing through all of these relationships.

So here's a shout-out to friends whom I have left, and who have left me: I miss you and love you and would love to hear from you whenever you have a chance.

P.S. Check out pictures from my vacation on my Picasa Web Albums by clicking the link on the right!

2 comments:

  1. I checked out the link for your pictures, they are all amazing of course...but what was with the handshake thing at the dinner table? I just don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! it's this thing they made up during one of the many Thai festivals. It has something to do with a lantern flying into the sky, sparkling like a firework, compressing and shooting down, and then floating along a river...

    they specifically requested a play by play :)

    ReplyDelete