25 January 2011

Career Plan #12

I have a long list of secret (and some not-so-secret) ambitions* when it comes to my career:

*Note: These are not listed in any particular order of importance

1. Environmental Educator
2. Behavioral Therapist
3. Founder of an Applied Behavior Analysis Nature Center
4. Bookstore Owner
5. Baker and owner of the most fabulous Bakery that can be found next to my bookstore
6. Coffeeshop Owner that can be found next to my bookstore and bakery
7. Professional trip leader--taking people on trips all over the world
8. Teacher
9. Hot air balloon pilot
10. Educational Campaigns Consultant
11. Librarian
12. Professional Photographer
13. Park Ranger
14. Self-sustaining farmer
15. Dress-maker
16. Zoo Keeper
17. Animal Trainer


And, the list goes on.


In recent days, I have been thinking a lot about #12: Professional Photographer. Last week, I had the amazing opportunity of doing an engagement photo shoot for some of my friends who will be getting married this summer. It was amazingly fun! I was completely blown over when they asked me to, because I have never been commissioned as a photographer for something like this before.

Photography has been a hobby of mine since I took a class in High School. I was introduced to the art of film photography, learned how to develop my own photos, and a little about the ins and outs of subject, composition, etc. I took ownership of my parents' old film SLR. All the way through college, I would take it out, dust it off, load it up and take some photos.

Then, for my graduation present, I decided I wanted to invest in a Digital SLR. It's only been six months, but I've taken more pictures on my camera than I had in the previous 20 years! I couldn't be happier with it.

Using my lens to look the world has helped me to see it differently. Pictures capture moments, and preserve them, moments that may otherwise be overlooked. They see beautiful symmetry in staircases, split second emotions expressed on faces, and can make the most ordinary items into items of interest.

Photos interpret and express the world we live in.

There are a lot of people this week who have said to me, "Have you ever considered making a career change? You could totally make it as a photographer!" And so I have found myself drifting off to the "what if" land of Some Day.

What if, some day, I did become a professional photographer?

Until then, I will thrive in my hobby and keep taking pictures and take ownership of the title "Aspiring Photographer". And now I leave  you with a selection of photos from the a aforementioned photo shoot.













 

1 comment:

  1. The pics you took of my kiddos almost 2 yrs back are professional quality, so I think you have a shot of at least a side business. Can I set an appt. for this summer?

    ReplyDelete