09 January 2011

Second goodbyes and hellos.

Saying goodbye for the second time is not as hard as saying goodbye the first time. Because the first time you say it, you don't know how it's going to turn out...

I said goodbye for the first time in July. Goodbye to friends and family as I stepped into the next season of my life. I was leaving those who had held me up and lived life with me for the previous four years or more. I was saying goodbye for an undetermined amount of time. Ripping myself away was one of the hardest things I've done.

And then I had the joyous opportunity to go home, to say hello again. Three blissful weeks were spent hugging and kissing and talking and reacquainting myself with the loved ones I had left. There were lots of smiles, lots of laughs, and lots of stories. Old traditions relived and new ones started. I was welcomed back, and it was wonderful.

But then I had to say goodbye again. The second one, as painful as it was, was easier than the first. Having already left once, and knowing that I would, in fact, survive, it wasn't as bad to do it again. Because I know that the next time I come back, there will be hugging and kissing and talking and reacquainting and smiles and stories. And until then, there will be emails and letters and video chats.

First hellos aren't bad, but they aren't always the most comforting things. Second hellos are awesome.

Most won't be surprised to hear that it isn't too hard for me to make friends. Everywhere I go, I end up finding people to talk to, do things with, and just be around. But it does take a little effort. So when I got here the first time, I had exactly four friends (I live in their house and two of them are under the age of seven). There were a lot of lonely walks and adventures to explore the city. It took some time, as it always does, to meet new friends.

Coming back, I got to say hello again. I was welcomed back with familiar and friendly faces, inquiries about my life, and expressions of joy at my return. And now, whenever I go from here to there, I get to say many hello agains.

With every goodbye, there's bound to be a hello around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment