10 July 2010

"Run"

Having just finished reading the first book of my bout in Singapore, I figure that this blog would be a good place to publish my review of it. My bookshelf arrived today and my fingers were itching as I unpacked the books I had sent ahead of me. There is so much time to read and I hope to have read myself out of books sooner rather than later.

Leading the pack was Run by Ann Patchett (author of Bel Canto), a book that has earned itself a spot in my top 10 favorite books.

 pic courtesy of Radcliffe Institute

It is the story of a fairly unconventional family and how they contend with some rather unfortunate circumstances. The plot provides an anomaly to social expectations associated with economic status and skin color. Though completely fictional, Patchett marries in elements of truth when it comes to politics, poverty, race, and family conflict. As a character-driven story, the present is told from the perspective of the past and vice versa. Patchett has a remarkable way of drawing you into the lives of the characters, so much so that it is hard to separate yourself from them. The characters are the life and breath of the story and there's not much else to do but become emotionally involved and feel like a part of the family.

I highly recommend Run to anyone looking for something to read. Also, be sure to read Bel Canto if you haven't yet, it is superb!

No comments:

Post a Comment