17 August 2010

Richard.

I can't believe I haven't written about Richard yet. I guess I need to be more careful about not letting the little things slip...

As I have previously mentioned, I basically live in Little America. If it weren't for the tropical atmosphere or the Filipino maids, you would think that this neighborhood was an American suburb. What with all the Americans doing American things, going to the American School, etc.

One thing that this neighborhood has that America doesn't is Richard, the Amazing Grocery Guy.

I am becoming convinced that Richard is as established in this neighborhood as the the storm drains are. Every morning we get a call from Richard and we tell Richard what we need that day. Bananas, chinese sausages, rice, pasta sauce, anything! Richard's motto is that he can get you ANYTHING. And so Richard shows up in the afternoon and lets himself in and drops off the box of groceries.

I don't know that there is a family in this neighborhood that doesn't have this intimate relationship with Richard.

Every afternoon you'll see him driving around in his van and popping in and out of people's houses, always with a big smile on his face and a friendly hello.

2 comments:

  1. I still think he could get us a Chinese baby if we asked for one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so amazing. HOW DOES HE DO IT? can you send him to my neighborhood. can you tell him to get things like... replacement vacuum bags for a specific brand vacuum? or that kind of american ice cream you wanted but thought would never find?

    what is the most bizarre thing he has found for you guys?

    ReplyDelete