17 September 2010

Congratulations, you're going to be a mom.

Last week, I got a taste of what it's like to be a mom. And I'm not just talking about what I've learned from years of being a nanny or living with children or anything. I'm talking about being on duty 24/7, attending to every cry and whine, having kids attached to my hips permanently.

Mama Bear went last week to visit her new nephew in the States, leaving me and Papa Bear to care for the children. Let me tell you, it really took the two of us to fill her shoes. (Mama Bear, you are priceless and irreplaceable!)

I came to the conclusion that parenthood is filled with the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. As a nanny, historically anyway, I was around for some of the highs and some of the lows but in the end I would always be able to leave them behind and go home. Meaning that, if the kids were crabby or naughty or frustrating beyond belief, I only had to withstand it for a little while and then hand them off to their parents. On the other hand, I would often miss really great things, big milestones, exciting and cute and wonderful things. And as a nanny, I was okay with the moderation.

As a parent, you are around for EVERYTHING. The good and bad and the messy.

We had a wonderful week! Mouse was off of school that week, so I had some good quality bonding time with him. Plus I got to put him to bed every night, and let me tell you, he is an adorable kid at bedtime. Papa Bear and I made a good team, dividing to conquer or uniting on the same front for whatever each situation would present.

At some point, we decided it would be a good idea to potty train Mouse. On Saturday, Papa Bear took the first shift as I was in therapy with Monkey. We strapped some underwear on the tyke, fed him salty snacks and flooded him with apple juice and milk. One tinkle in the potty and one wet pair of underwear later, I took over for the afternoon. It was a successful day! Not only did I get him to go in the toilet once during the afternoon but also right before bed.

We went to bed that night feeling proud and hopeful for the next day. But you know what they say about pride.

After church on Sunday, we resumed battle positions, putting the kid on the toilet every 20 minutes all afternoon. But no go. Mouse had put up stronghold defenses on his bladder. I swear he has the largest bladder of any kid I have ever met in my life. Monday was no different. On Tuesday, I had all day with him by myself, with Monkey at school and Papa Bear at work. I was determined. And when it comes to kids, I don't give in easily especially when I'm determined. It was a battle of the wills. I sat in the bathroom with him on the toilet for an hour and a half. He had a full cup of apple juice and three bowls of cereal's worth of milk in him, so his bladder was by no means empty. During that entire stretch, not one drop fell into the toilet. By then it was nap time, so I reluctantly put a diaper on him and put him to sleep. Two hours later, he walks down the stairs, looks at me and says "Pee pee?". He had the fullest diaper that I have ever known him to have.

I don't call this potty training experience a failure and I don't claim defeat. It is simply a retreat from the frontlines to be attacked at a later date.

Mama Bear got home on Wednesday morning, and generously gave me the day off despite her jetlag. It was a stressful yet rewarding week, and I have even more appreciation for mothers than I did before. And it probably goes without saying that I'll have a bit of a leg up when the time rolls around for me to have my own kids.

2 comments:

  1. you are so brave and brilliant! has he been trained yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha nate was potty trained in one day with that method. not sure if he wants me telling you this... :)

    ReplyDelete